About the Agency
The Department of General Services (DGS) makes it easier for government to do business, and Virginians to do business with government, by providing a broad range of services to other state agencies, institutions of higher education, local governments, businesses, and citizens. DGS provides the services that allow agencies to direct their energies toward their core missions without having to worry about the logistics of the operation.
The department is comprised of multiple business units, each specializing in a core function of government.
- The Division of Purchases and Supply (DPS) manages statewide procurement services; operates the electronic procurement system, eVA; establishes policies and procedures for non-professional and non-technology procurement; and manages the Virginia Distribution Center.
- The Division of Consolidated Laboratory Services (DCLS) is Virginia’s public health and environmental laboratory, performing over 9 million tests annually for state agencies, local governments, federal agencies and other states.
- The Division of Real Estate and Facilities Management (DRFM) manages the Commonwealth’s real estate portfolio, oversees the management, maintenance and operation of buildings and ground in and around Capitol Square, and runs the state employee parking and building access systems.
- The Division of Engineering and Buildings (DEB) serves as the Building Official for all construction on state-owned property.
- The Office of Construction for Special Projects provides project management services for construction projects at the seat of government and throughout the commonwealth.
- The Office of Fleet Management Services (OFMS) operates and maintains a centralized fleet of approximately 4,000 vehicles and oversees roadside assistance, maintenance and repair for vehicles owned and leased by enrolled public bodies.
- The Office of Graphic Communication (OGC) offers quality print and internet communication services to state agencies and other public bodies.
- The Office of Surplus Property Management (OSPM) manages Virginia’s federal and state surplus property programs, including warehouses in Richmond and Wytheville and a retail store in Wytheville.
- State Mail Services (SMS) provides postal services at the seat of government.
- DGS also manages the OnTheSquareVA employee engagement program.