On this page:
Department of Motor Vehicles
- Governor Northam directed the Commissioner of the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to close Virginia’s 75 DMV offices, as well as mobile units, to the public.
- Online services will remain available, and anyone needing to renew a license or vehicle registration is encouraged to do so online. DMV will grant a 60-day extension to those who cannot renew online, or whose license or registration expires before May 15.
Governor Northam directed the Virginia Department of State Police to suspend enforcement of Motor Vehicle Safety Inspections for 60 days.
- Governor Northam requested and the Supreme Court of Virginia granted a judicial emergency in response to COVID-19.
- From Monday, March 16 through Monday, April 6, non-essential, non-emergency court proceedings in all district and circuit courts are suspended absent a specific exemption.
- This includes a suspension on new eviction cases for tenants who are unable to pay rent as a result of COVID-19. All non-exempted court deadlines are tolled and extended for a period of 21 days.
- The Governor has directed agencies to implement liberal teleworking policies for state employees.
- Virginia has activated paid Public Health Emergency Leave for state employees, when needed.
- All official travel outside of Virginia by state employees has been halted, with increased flexibility for inter-state commuters and essential personnel.